Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sodas, Elephants, and Colors....What are We Thinking?

Okay this is an incredibly broad subject to write about so if I go off on any tangents, which I plan to, I hope that you enjoy them. The other night I was standing in line for the cash register at my local blockbuster at the corner of Legacy and Lebanon...it's my usual spot. Getting bored I proceeded to people watch. (You know you do this as well) There was a little girl begging her mom for a soda from the new cafe area at the blockbuster. I kinda did one of those corny laughs when she got denied by her mom, you know that laugh that says I've been there. She returned the soda to it's original location in the fridge and started walking around trying to entertain herself. At that moment I wondered what it was that she was thinking. That led to the thought of what do people think when they are not thinking. (Now thats deep) We have all wondered this occasionally, especially when some smart butt comes up to you and tells you to think about anything except for elephants. No matter how hard you try elephants are glued into your mind until you laugh at the joke. I hate that joke but its clever. But what is it that we think when we are not thinking? Well I guess that we are always thinking just sometimes unintentionally. Now take a minute and try not to think...........stop trying it is impossible and you will drive yourself crazy. We dream when we sleep, we phase out during class, and we think about the meaning of life...the point is we are always thinking. At this very moment I am thinking about what I am going to type, that thought is turned into an action as my brain sends signals to my fingers and eyes as I type the letters on my keypad. That sentence was pre-meditated as I drove down legacy on my way home from blockbuster. It is fascinating really, I mean back during the Roman times people were known and honored for just thinking. Crap they were called the great thinkers. I get bored when I just sit and think...and all they did was think. The word think is being heavily overused in this blog and I apologize but it is necessary when writing about thinking itself. Even now as I type I am realizing how pointless of a blog this is. To write about thinking is to write about...well I don't know but it is such a broad subject yet so fascinating that I love it. How does the disgusting, gooey, nasty, freaky think inside our skull do this? Think that is. To all Darwinists and Evolutionists...explain that to me. I know that doctors have some idea of why we have dreams and how they are created yadayadayada and I will more than likely google it in the next few minutes and be humored for hours as I learn all about the human psyche and how our brains work. Or I will simply roll over and go to bed, but the time for that decision will come and it is not now. Im gonna sound like a total loony right here but I have decided that I am okay with that, your opinion is your own and I will not argue with it. Sometimes I try to think things into reality, in an imaginative sort though. I close my eyes, and please tell me you see colors too, and I try to imagine red, green, blue, yellow, whatever colors there are. Most of the time the color that I think will show up in my view as my eyes are rolled up in my head. It is so awesome, hmph but I am not weird or anything I am curious. (Famous last words) So please let this blog encourage you to think about what it is that you are thinking when you are not really thinking while you annoy yourself endlessly with this never ending thought. But first wrap your head around that sentence and try to understand it because I think I lost myself after using the word think...good luck.

No comments: