Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The deafening Heartbeat

Lately I have been swimming laps in the pool for exercise and I have always found this fascinating. I hope that many of you who read this will see it as amazing as I do. After a few laps your heart is racing...I always go under water and sit for a few seconds to let everything go quiet and then I can hear my heartbeat. It is so loud, like popping your finger under water, but you can almost feel the shock-waves from your chest pounding in the water. Sometimes I'll close my eyes and let myself sink to the bottom...in the seemingly never-ending space of the bottom of my pool I can hear it louder than ever. I can feel it beating through my body and feel it in the water all around me. When I do this it is not like my heartbeat is racing but it is beating harder than usual. Could it possibly be my body reacting to the feeling of being in infinite space? I relate it to being in the middle of a room in pitch black darkness...if you have read my entry about fear then you should understand. It's my body reacting to the silent fear (that being the fear that I subconsciously have) of being under water not being able to see? It feels so cool because you don't feel closed in, you don't feel like you are in a pool. Take the lake this weekend for example, my friend lucas and I were just off of the shore of their lakehouse and we were wading out until we had to swim to stay above water. We then continued to swim to the bottom and come back up just to see how deep it is. It was so terrifically terrifying being under water in the lake because it is pitch black and huge. For a moment (until you reach the bottom) you are floating in space and there is nothing around you. The water itself does not even feel like it is there. Some of you may say that I am taking a simple event like swimming way over the edge and I am in fact weird. That is okay, I'm just telling you what goes on in my head.

No comments: