Monday, July 28, 2008

My Stomach in My Throat and My Heart on the Table

Today was just one of those days where you look up towards heaven and just scream "Alright, God...You Broke Me...now what?" I'll start with last night. I got home from my trip to Estes Park Colorado and had subway then went to visit my girlfriend. After that I arrived home only to find that my dog Max was not feeling well. He was shaky and he also vomited a few times. i was up with him until around 3 am. I had a golf tournament this morning that I had to leave my house around 630 for. I awoke to the bright green light of my clock making the figures of 647 and I had 3 missed calls from my dad. Great start...but wait it get's better. I made a protein shake for my tournament and it tasted kinda funny. I finished it and then realized that whoever had washed it last had not washed it well and left a good amount of soap in it. So now I'm tired and I am ready to hurl my guts out. The tournament did not go well and I decided to give up...I'm not proud of it but my dad told me afterwards, "You didn't quit, you just retreated. Sometimes you just gotta know when to retreat." That helped a lot to know that he supported my decision. I got in my truck and removed my golf shoes, i then proceded to look up and say "Alright, God...You broke me...now what?" I got home and heard that my mom had taken max to the vet because he had not improved. I called the vet when I got into my room to check up on him and I got the reply that I did not want, "Andrew I am really worried about Max, He is in bad shape. I will call your mom and explain the situation to her." I broke down, Max is just one of those lights in this somewhat dark world we live in and he is a huge part of my life. I showered then went downstairs. My Mom saw me and told me about Max...I looked at her and said I know then broke down again...I couldn't take it...I need max. To further explain the situation Max had digested a rat that had been exposed to rat poison, and so max was infected. His lungs were full of fluid and he had internal bleeding. We called the company to find out what kind of poison was in it's traps so we could help the Doctors as much as possible. I ended up going to the vet with my mom to talk face to face with the Doctor. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life when the Doctor walked towards us...I broke down again. She however gave my mom and I a ray of hope. She told us he was stable and that he had a possibility of going home tonight. She said that we could go and see him but I knew I couldn't and my mom felt the same so we went and ate. The doctor told us that she would call us after Max had his blood transfusion. It wasn't until around 6 that we got the call and I jumped up and down never feeling so excited before as my mom told me to go pick him up. He was okay...I loved that thought. I drove to pick him up with a smile on my face. I met the doctor and she told me what precautions to take with him. I had to cancel all my plans that night so that I could keep him in the game room as I kept an eye on him. He has a pretty awful cough due to the remaining fluid in his lungs and if his coughing sessions went longer than usual a few times than I was supposed to take him to the animal ER. So now he is sleeping on my bed and doing fine. He coughs and hacks but he is definitely improving. Tomorrow I have to take him in early for another blood transfusion and chest x-ray...from then on he should be getting back to the normal crazy dog he is but it will be a few weeks. If anything I feel blessed that he is still here and terrified of what could have happened today.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I about cried when I heard. It makes me cry just reading your blog. It would break my heart. And you had already had a tough day. Andrew, you handled it beautifully. Love you!